Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, April 2, 2015

One of Us by Tawni O'Dell...

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite adult authors is Tawni O'Dell.  Her books Backroads and Coal Run are two of my favorite books.  She knows how to write a story.  This newest novel was picked by a member of the BBC (Boy's Book Club) for our March/April book club selection.  I was thrilled.  

What It Is About:  Sheridan (Danny) Doyle is a psychologist who deals with the most dangerous killers in Philadelphia.  He has a "charmed" life, but it wasn't always that way.  He grew up in a small town called Lost Creek which was a mining town.  His father and grandfather both worked in the mines.  When he was about five years old his baby sister was killed and his mother was put in prison for the crime.  Throughout the years, she spent time in both prison and mental health facilities.  Danny returns home upon her release.  He needs to help his grandfather take care of her and make sure she is safe.  When Danny gets home, there is a murder at the mines which brings him to the center of the investigation.  The present day issues with the miners and the "rich" owners of the mines collides with Danny's past, his sister's murder, and his mother's involvement..

What I Thought Of It:  I sometimes get nervous reading a new novel by a favorite author because I'm afraid it won't measure up.  That was not the case here.  I enjoyed this new story and found it quite a satisfying read.  As with all her novels, the plot moves along quickly with lots of twists and turns.  A favorite aspect of this story was the relationship between Danny and his grandfather.  The grandfather was there for Danny during his dark days as a young boy and never stopped being there.  The story kept me on the edge of my "spring break lounge chair" and the surprises kept coming and coming.  

Who Should Read It:  If you have read other Tawni O'Dell novels, then you must read this newest one.  If you have not experienced a Tawni O'Dell book, then I highly recommend you do so.  All of her novels are completely engaging.  Her novels are for adult readers and fiction lovers.  Give them a try.  I know you won't be disappointed.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment