Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, April 9, 2015

The Truth about Alice by Jennifer Mathieu...

How I Heard About It:  As I was searching for my next audio book at the library, I came across this title.  It rang a bell so I checked my GoodReads account and saw that I had marked it to read.  It had great reviews from my "online" friends so I checked it out.  

What It Is About:  The story takes place in a small town in Texas.  The cast of characters are a variety of high school students.  After a party at the "popular" girl's home, a story about Alice and the quarterback of the football team begins to be told.  Soon after the story starts to gather some speed, the quarterback is killed in a car accident.  Many of the kids at school, and their parents, blame Alice for his death.  Alice goes from the top of the high-school chain to the very bottom.  The smart "nerdy" kid in school befriends Alice and the two of them begin a new friendship.  But the friendship will backfire on Alice and she isn't sure who she can turn to for support.  Will the real truth about Alice be told and who will have the courage to tell it?  

What I Thought Of It:  From the moment the audio began, I knew I was going to love it.  The mystery of what happened at the party kept me interested and intrigued.  The story was told from multiple perspectives of a variety of characters.  This worked so well because the reader got a glimpse into what was going on from different points of view.  Alice didn't tell "her" story until the very end of the book.  The novel was quite graphic, blunt, and very sexual in nature.  I do think the story line was quite true to what really can go on in high school settings.

Who Should Read It:  I was surprised when I looked on Amazon and saw that this novel was geared toward readers who are ages twelve and up.  There is NO WAY I would want sixth graders or middle-school readers reading this book.  I don't consider myself a prude (especially with literature) but this book is definitely for the high school reader and/or adult reader.  This is just my personal opinion of course.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment