Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Relativity by Antonia Hayes…

How I Heard About It:  I received an invitation from NetGalley offering this novel as an advanced reader copy.  I'm always thrilled when this happens.  I knew nothing about the novel and/or the author.  This can be an exciting opportunity.  The reading can either go really well or really bad.  You just never know.  

What It Is About:  Ethan is twelve years old and lives in Australia.  He isn't your typical preteen boy.  Ethan is extremely smart and has a keen sense of physics and astronomy.  He lives with his mother Claire who is a former ballerina.  It is always been just Claire and Ethan.  He doesn't know who is father is and his mother hasn't shared much information about him.  After Ethan has an accident and is sent to the hospital, his early years catch up to him.  His current medical condition is being linked to an incident Ethan experienced as a baby.  Claire isn't sure she is ready to explain Ethan's past to him.  During this same time, Mark who is Ethan's father, is called back to Sydney because his father is ill.  Mark decides to contact Claire to reconnect after many years of being estranged.  Claire isn't sure how she feels about Mark's arrival and his wanting to connect with his son.  When Ethan learns that his father is back in town, he has a strong desire to meet him.  As these three family members navigate the present day situation and the mistakes of the past, their worlds collide in both positive and negative ways.  

What I Thought Of It:  As I mentioned above, reading a new book by a new author can either go really well or really bad.  In this case, it went really well.  I completely enjoyed this story and there were many moments when I just couldn't stop reading and put this book down.  I don't think I've ever read a story quite like this one.  The story had everything an adult reader craves in a fiction novel.  There were strong, unique, and flawed characters.  There was an intriguing plot with mystery, suspense, and interwoven connections.  There were tender moments when I felt for the characters.  There were moments when I was angry, frustrated, and confused by character actions.  I'm so thrilled I had the opportunity to read this really great story.  

Who Should Read It:  I really think most adult readers will find enjoyment with this novel.  I believe it was released in Australia first and did really well and I'm sure it will do just as well here in the United States.  There is a strong "science" theme in the story so if you have an interest in that, you will definitely love this story.  I can't wait for the release of this novel so I can share it with all of my reader friends.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment