Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, April 18, 2016

The Great American Whatever by Tim Federle

How I Heard About It:  This book has been highly publicized in many different forums.  The place I saw the title the most was on Twitter.  I downloaded the novel via my 3M Cloud Library app and read it on my device.   As I was reading the book, many of my Twitter friends were reading it at the same time.  

What It Is About:  Quinn and his sister Annabeth are not your typical siblings.  They get along really well and their work on screenplays together.  It is their hope to make it big someday.  After a terrible accident, Quinn retreats to his room and doesn't venture far from home for quite some time.  This new life consists of himself and his mother.  Geoff, Quinn's best friend, decides enough time has passed and it is time for Quinn to enter the land of the living. He convinces Quinn to leave the house with him and they end up at a college party that Geoff's sister is having.  During the party Quinn meets an older "boy/man" and is completely "smitten."  During the next week of his life, he enjoys this new friendship/relationship with all of its ups and downs that come with it.  He isn't sure he can let go of the past and truly move forward, but he is sure going to try.  

What I Thought Of It:  What a delight to read.  I had read Federle's middle-grade books and was excited to see what he could do with a young-adult story.  Well, he knocked it out of the park.  This was such a great story and I found myself thinking about Quinn, his life, and the entire story on several occasions when I wasn't even reading the book.  I looked forward to each night when I could crawl into bed and escape to Quinn and his friends world.  The writing was outstanding and the story telling was top-notch.  

Who Should Read It:  From what I can tell, many people are reading this book and that makes me very happy.  This will definitely be a novel that I tell my friends about.  I know both high school readers and adult readers will enjoy it alike.  There are so many elements that readers will enjoy with this novel.  If you haven't read it yet, get out there and grab a copy of the book.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment