Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, September 25, 2017

Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite read aloud last year was Wolf Hollow which I read during our historical fiction unit.  I was quite thrilled to learn that she had a second novel for readers to enjoy.  This has been another title that has been sitting in my TBR pile and I finally got around to reading it.  

What It Is About:  Lauren Wolk has weaved another brilliant historical fiction story for middle-grade readers.  This time the story takes us to the Elizabeth Islands off Massachusetts in the 1920's.  The main character is Crow who is twelve years old.  She arrived on the island years earlier when she was just a newborn baby.  Osh rescued Crow when he discovered her in the small boat.  Crow grew up while living with Osh and considering him her "father".  A neighbor lady, Miss Maggie, helps Osh raise this young girl.  Crow must deal with the fact that all the residents of her island will not touch and/or interact with her.  They are fearful of her because of where they think she comes from.  One night when Crow sees a fire on another island, she begins to question her beginnings and if she has a "family" out there.  She sets off on an adventure to find her parents and siblings that may or may not know about her.  Crow takes many risks and not only put her life in danger but that of Osh and Miss Maggie as well.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was just as wonderful as Wolf Hollow was.  I'm not normally a fan of historical fiction, but Lauren has a way of weaving an interesting and fascinating tale that I'm drawn into.  This story was completely different from her first novel, but just as strong.  I so enjoyed the character of Crow and her determination in reaching her goals.  There was lots of suspense, great plot development, and characters that I fell in love with.  The descriptions of the East Coast were vivid and I could picture exactly where these people were and how they were living.  This is another one of those novels that I wish I had gotten to sooner because it was so good.  

Who Should Read It:  I think this book would be best used with fifth and sixth graders in an elementary setting and/or middle-school readers.  It could be used as a read aloud in grade four.  Readers that enjoy historical fiction would be the perfect audience for Lauren's book.  Not only will young readers enjoy, but adult readers will be completely satisfied with the story of Crow and her discovery of who she truly is and where she came from.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment