Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Wonder Wednesday #191 (Wednesday Post is BACK)

Fourth Grade Readers in ACTION

*We started our school year yesterday.  I have twenty-four readers in my class that I can't wait to work with throughout the year.

*The first day got away from us and as I drove home I realized I didn't give them time to READ.  This did not make me happy.

*Some of the things I promise my students are...

     1.  Daily Independent Reading Time
     2.  Daily Read Aloud Time
     3.  #Classroombookaday (Picture Book)
     4.  Writer's Notebooks (Five Minute Quick Write)

*We had a great discussion today about these four parts of our school day that I promised they will not miss.  I shared how I was frustrated that I let day #1 slip by without any independent reading time.

*The readers and I decided we would get started this afternoon with a "chunk" of time dedicated to our independent reading time.  The students had selected a book stack during open house so they were ready with books.  Each student chose one of these books and got situated in one of the many "special" reading spots.

*I didn't even have to really stress to spread out in order to find a perfect reading spot in order to get into the "READING ZONE".  The children must have been well-trained prior to this year.  I loved it.

*Being it was only the second day of school, I decided to "for-go" the first day of conferring and walk around the grab some images of the readers in action.  It made my heart happy as I went from student to student and snapped their picture.  Everyone was so engaged in their book.  I hope the entire year continues this way.

*Here is a "look" into our reading community...









No comments:

Post a Comment