Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Smell of Other People's Houses by Bonnie Sue Hitchcock

How I Heard About It:  I can't remember how this title ended up on my TBR list.  It has been there for quite some time.  While browsing my "Cloud Library" app on my phone I came across the book and downloaded it.  I've spent the last week or so listening to it during my commute to and from work.  

What It Is About:  The reader is taken to the state of Alaska during the 1970's.  It is here we meet four different young adults that are each dealing with difficult situations.  Ruth and her younger sister are being raised by their grandmother.  She feels isolated and completely alone.  Dora is dealing with an alcoholic father, but has been taken in by a kind family in town.  Alyce splits her time between her mother and father who are divorced.  She has a dream to be a dancer, but this would take her away from Alaska and her father.  Hank and his two brothers escape from a troubled home only to "lose" one of the boys during their escape.  Each character's story stands on its own, but as the plot unfolds each person is brought closer to the other.  

What I Thought Of It:  This was a beautiful story with extremely incredible writing.  I enjoyed how each story was told on its own, but as events unfolded, the lives of these four characters were brought closer and closer together.  The pain and difficulties of each character was brought to life by such detailed, vivid, and descriptive writing.  The setting of Alaska was "picturesque" and I could imagine myself in the different location of the story.  The plot moved along at a perfect pace and kept me interested the entire "listen".  

Who Should Read It:  The novel is targeted toward the young-adult audience, which I agree with, but I also think adult readers would enjoy the story just as much.  Everything about it will appeal to readers of strong fictional literature.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment