Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Patina by Jason Reynolds

How I Heard About It:  I was excited to read the second installment of the "Track" series by Jason Reynolds.  The first book Ghost was excellent and I was curious and interested to see what the next story would be like.  

What It Is About:  Patina is another member of the elite middle-grade school track team.  One of her teammates is Ghost.  Patina is fast, good, and determined.  She doesn't always push herself as much as her coach would like her to.  She has many reasons for running and each one is just as important as the other.  Patina is an older sister and takes good care of younger sister.  They live with their "adoptive" parents, but do get to see their "birth" mother from time to time.  After an accident that involves her family members, Patina is torn between being a member of a family and being a member of the track team.

What I Thought Of It:  I bought the novel, but ended up listening to it via the "Cloud Library" app during my commutes to and from work.  It was fun to get back to the story of Ghost and his fellow track stars.  I enjoyed the character of Patina and her strength.  She was awesome on and off the track.  I liked how her story revolved around the many characters in her family.  She had a lot going on and handled it as best she could.  This came through loud and clear.  The story brought me hours of enjoyment.  This is a great series and young readers will enjoy; especially those that run TRACK.

Who Should Read It:   I'm thinking this book and series are best geared and aimed toward the upper elementary reader; especially a reader in fifth and/or sixth grade.  Of course I think the middle-school reader would enjoy the adventures of Patina, Ghost, and the rest of the track team.  Readers that are also "runners" may be the perfect audience for this particular book.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment