Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 23, 2018

In Your Shoes by Donna Gephart

How I Heard About It:  It was such an honor when Donna Gephart and her publisher sent me an ARC of her upcoming novel.  I had begun to hear such positive comments about the story that I was extremely excited to read the novel.  

What It Is About:  Miles has grown up and lived in his town for as long as he can remember.  Amy has just moved to town.  Miles' family owns the local bowling alley.  Amy lives above the funeral home with her uncle.  Her father is away during the week taking classes on how to be a mortician.  Her mother has recently passed away.  Miles spends most of his time with his best buddy.  One day while walking to school, Miles and his buddy get "into" it and a bowling shoe goes flying and lands in Amy's face.  This is how Miles and Amy first meet.  Miles deals with some anxiety about the world.  Amy deals with her grief by writing.  After their initial "meeting", these two young people form a very special bond.  They each bring something unique to the friendship.  They learn about the world.  They learn about each other.  But most importantly, they learn about themselves and how to be the best version of themselves.  

What I Thought Of It:  I LOVED this story.  Of course I love everything that Donna writes.  The story was so special and one that I won't soon forget.  Miles and Amy were two of the most compelling characters that I've encountered in quite some time.  I enjoyed reading about each one on their own and how they came to depend on each other.  The story flowed so naturally from page to page.  The writing was beautiful, concise, and heart-warming.  I did NOT want the story to end;  to me that is a sure sign of a strong and solid story.  I can't wait to share this story with my students in the fall.  

Who Should Read It:  I hope all teachers introduce this book to their students.  The book can be used in grades three through six.  I personally think it would make for an excellent read aloud.  There are so many wonderful life-lessons that would lead to deep and rich discussions.  Of course individual readers will also enjoy and connect with the story.  In my opinion, the novel could also be used in a middle-school setting.  Adult readers who enjoy middle-grade stories, must put this on their TBR list.  It will be released in October of 2018.  You won't be disappointed.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment