Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 23, 2018

The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan

How I Heard About It:  I wanted to get back to reading young-adult novels and this was one title I ordered via Amazon at the beginning of June.  It appeared to be a story that I would enjoy!  

What It Is About:  Leigh has lost her mother to a suicide and isn't sure how to proceed without her.  She is left with her father and a bird.  Leigh knows in her heart that the bird is her mother.  After her mother's death, Leigh asks her father if they can travel to Taiwan to visit her mother's parents.  Leigh's mother was born and raised in Taiwan and moved to the United States after meeting her father.  Leigh thinks if she travels back to her mother's homeland, she will find the answers she is looking for.  

What I Thought Of It:  I was excited to read this story based on all the positive reviews I read about the book.  When I first started, I enjoyed the story, but as I continued to read, I became a bit confused and perplexed.  Part of the story was realistic fiction.  Part of the story was fantasy.  And part of the story was mystery.  There were times when I wasn't sure which was which.  To be honest, I did skim and scan certain parts of the novel.  I found it difficult to connect with the main character and the journey she was on.  It could have been my mood at the time of reading, but I personally didn't "get" it and felt like it was above my head as they say.  

Who Should Read It:  The book is marketed for the young-adult reader, but I think some young-adults may have a hard time with the story.  Or actually maybe they will have an easier time understanding the plot.  It could be that this particular story is not for a 50 year old male.  Young-adult female readers may be just the audience for the story.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars!






No comments:

Post a Comment