Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 23, 2018

An Inside Look #55 (Author INTERVIEW)

An Inside Look with Sharon Creech
(Author of Saving Winslow)

*During the summer of 2016, I added this feature to my blog which was called "Season #ONE".  This first season ran from June of 2016 to March of 2017.  

*I started up the interviews again in June of 2017.  It was great to get back to Season #TWO.  This season ran throughout the summer.  

*Season #THREE ran during the school year of 2017/2018.  


*It has been such an honor to connect with authors and "chat" about their novel, characters, and thoughts about the story.

*This is the FOURTH interview of what I'm calling Season #FOUR.  

*Thank you to Sharon Creech for being the Fifty-Fifth author that I've had the pleasure of interviewing.  I truly appreciate it.  

*Here are links to the first FIFTY-Four interviews…

SEASON #ONE

























SEASON #FOUR

Interview #53 with Preston Norton (Author of Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe)

Interview #54 with Jonathan Auxier (Author of Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster)


*I was thrilled to receive an arc of Saving Winslow via my #bookexpedition Twitter group.  I am a huge fan of Sharon Creech stories and was excited to read her newest work of fiction. I read the novel in one sitting and absolutely loved it.  She has written a one of a kind story.

*Sharon was kind, gracious, and giving with her answers to the questions.  It is an honor to post the responses here on the blog.  

*Here is a link to my review of Saving Winslow

*Thank you Sharon Creech for writing this story for readers and taking the time to share your thoughts with us here...


Saving Winslow 
by Sharon Creech (Released September 11, 2018)


How did you come to know Louie?
My grandson was Louie’s age when I began writing this book, and I think I had in mind someone who shared some of my grandson’s—and his friends’—characteristics: compassionate, determined, a little shy, inquisitive.  As I wrote, and as Louie interacted with Winslow and with others (Nora, especially), Louie took on a life of his own.


What do you think is Louie's most admirable quality?
His compassion.


Is there anything you wish Louie would have changed or done differently in his story?
No.  I think he came out just right.


What do you think Louie can offer to other children that are experiencing similar situations to what he went through?
Perhaps Louie offers the sense that determination and compassion/kindness/thoughtfulness are in themselves rewarding.


How did you research Louie and the circumstances he found himself in?
My grandchildren have raised orphaned lambs, so I was fully aware of that experience. My granddaughter is hoping to write a lamb story one day, so I chose a donkey instead and immersed myself in donkey books and videos. Ironically, my granddaughter’s flock recently moved to another farm where there is a resident donkey named Johnathan. As it turns out, Johnathan, in addition to being an LGD (Livestock Guardian Donkey), is a lot like Winslow—funny, gentle, and ridiculously loud.


Do you and Louie share any similarities?
I think I share similarities with all of my characters. With Louie, I especially identify with his concern for animals, with his dedication to the task at hand, and with his frustrations with slow-talkers (haha) and with officials who talk down to children (e.g. the animal control/health dept. officers Louie enounters.)


What was the hardest scene to write about Louie?
It was difficult to have Louie let Winslow go, but I knew it was exactly what Louie would do.


Who do you think was Louie's biggest supporter and why?
Louie is fortunate to have his parents and his friend Mack as his supporters, but I think his biggest supporter is Nora. I love Nora so much! Even though she appears skeptical and pessimistic, underneath she is sensitive and kind, and she is there for Louie all the way.


Why do you think humans and animals have such a special connection?
Hmm. I’m not sure I can answer this. I was going to wax eloquent about our (humans and animals) mutual need for companionship and about the benefits of sharing trust, loyalty and affection.  But that sounds awfully lofty.  Besides, animals are just SO cute and funny!  Perhaps the connection is special because they (animals) can bring out the best in us humans.


What do you think Louie is doing as this present time?
He is on his way, with Nora, to Uncle Pete’s farm to spend some time with Winslow.

2 comments: