Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 30, 2018

An Inside Look #56 (Author INTERVIEW)

An Inside Look with Stacy McAnulty 
(Author of The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl)

*During the summer of 2016, I added this feature to my blog which was called "Season #ONE".  This first season ran from June of 2016 to March of 2017.  

*I started up the interviews again in June of 2017.  It was great to get back to Season #TWO.  This season ran throughout the summer.  

*Season #THREE ran during the school year of 2017/2018.  


*It has been such an honor to connect with authors and "chat" about their novel, characters, and thoughts about the story.

*This is the FiFTH interview of what I'm calling Season #FOUR.  

*Thank you to Stacy McAnulty for being the Fifty-Sixth author that I've had the pleasure of interviewing.  I truly appreciate it.  

*Here are links to the first Fifty-Five interviews…

SEASON #ONE

























SEASON #FOUR

Interview #53 with Preston Norton (Author of Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe)

Interview #54 with Jonathan Auxier (Author of Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster)

Interview #55 with Sharon Creech (Author of Saving Winslow)


*I was thrilled to receive an arc of Saving Winslow via my #bookexpedition Twitter group.  I am a huge fan of Sharon Creech stories and was excited to read her newest work of fiction. I read the novel in one sitting and absolutely loved it.  She has written a one of a kind story.

*Stacy was kind, gracious, and giving with her answers to the questions.  It is an honor to post the responses here on the blog.  

*Here is a link to my review of The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl

*Thank you Stacy McAnulty for writing this story for readers and taking the time to share your thoughts with us here...


The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl
by Stacy McAnulty (Released May 1, 2018)


How did you come to know Lucy?  
I watched a show about a man with acquired savant syndrome. After a punch to the head, he was suddenly a math genius. His true story captured my imagination, and I began to wonder what that experience would be like for a kid. This idea stirred in my brain and over a few weeks, Lucy grew. It’s silly (and maybe even cliché), but I did hear and see her as I went about my day.  I began to understand her and what makes her tick. It was fun discovering all the things she would be calculating.


What do you think is Lucy's most admirable quality?
Her most outstanding quality would be her super math skills. But she’s so much more than that. I admire that she’s curious and seeks to understand her world and the people in it—sometimes through math and sometimes just by listening and observing.  She’s also a great go-between for Windy and Levi. Lucy’s the calming voice when they are at odds.


Is there anything you wish Lucy would have changed or done differently in her story?
Lucy could have stood up for herself sooner. She tries to avoid conflict and really any kind of attention. This seems like a good idea at the time, but the situation doesn’t improve on its own.


What do you think Lucy can offer to other children that are experiencing similar situations to what she went through?  
Very few children find themselves as sudden geniuses, but most probably feel out of place at some point during middle school. Hopefully, Lucy, Windy, and Levi illustrate that real friends are out there. It’s not easy to find the people that will accept you and not try to change you, and it’s not easy to always accept the faults in others.


How did you research Lucy and the circumstances she found herself in?
With Lucy being an acquired savant, I read 4 books on the subject of savantism. The condition is extremely rare, and I’ve never (knowingly) met a savant. So all that research came from books—3 memoirs and 1 nonfiction text by a doctor. Lucy also has OCD. To research this condition, I spoke with a children’s psychiatrist and a mom of a child with OCD. They answered my questions and opened my eyes to the struggles kids with OCD may face.


Do you and Lucy share any similarities?  
Like Lucy, I’m better at math than English. I went to college for mechanical engineering and enjoy a good math problem (algebra or geometry, preferably). And as a middle-school student, I was also very shy in the classroom. I rarely raised my hand and hated to be called on. I spent a lot of time worrying about embarrassing myself.


What was the hardest scene to write about Lucy?
SPOILER ALERT!!! The scene toward the end where Lucy and Windy fight and make up. The fighting wasn’t so bad. I have three kids; it’s easy to imagine yelling and insults. But forgiveness and apologies aren’t easy. Haven’t we all held grudges for waaaay too long? I wanted it to feel authentic to the age and not overly simple without taking 20 pages to uncover every emotion.


Who do you think was Lucy's biggest supporter and why?
This is a hard 1. I think Nana is supportive in her way without being a helicopter parent. Uncle Paul also loves and encourages Lucy. The teacher, Mr. Stoker, wants to help her too, but Lucy doesn’t let him in. So she has those 3 adults to lean on. Then there is her friend, Levi. He comes through in a big way toward the end. And of course, Windy is critical. I just can’t pick 1 biggest supporter. It takes a village to get Lucy through these first few months of middle school.


Why do you think some children (Lucy), especially bright and/or gifted, seem to hide their talents from their classmates; instead of celebrate them.  I find this to be true in my own classroom.   
I read somewhere that middle school is all about being similar to your classmates and high school is about being different. Obviously, this isn’t going to be true for every child, but this idea resonates with my experiences as a former young person and now as a mom. In middle school, I wanted Guess jeans and Benetton shirts because everyone else seemed to have these items. I joined certain clubs because my friends were interested in those activities. I liked the same music and movies as the cool kids. There was this unspoken standard of this is what you’re supposed to do, how you’re supposed to act, how you should look. Being bright, gifted, or even hardworking, doesn’t often fit the mold. A higher social currency is paid to those who mimic the popular.


What do you think Lucy is doing at the present time?  
I’m not sure. We’ve toyed with the idea of a sequel eventually, so I try not to overthink it, especially (SPOILER ALERT!)  since the ending is vague with her choice about future education. I’d like to think she’s happy and hanging out with Levi and Windy as often as she can. And they’re all still volunteering at the Pet Hut.

No comments:

Post a Comment