Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Lions & Liars by Kate Beasley

How I Heard About It:  This cover captured my attention the first time I saw it.  The cover is fun, intriguing, and special.  I was thrilled when I received a copy of the book from the publisher.  I know what a great writer Kate Beasley is so I will thrilled to read her newest work of fiction.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Frederick Frederickson doesn't exactly fit in at school.  He believes in a "food chain" type ranking system and puts himself at the bottom of that chain.

2.  *He is suppose to be going on a cruise with his family but those plans get foiled and Frederick finds himself at a camp for "undisciplined" youth.  His name isn't on the camp list so he takes on a new identity when he takes the name of a camper that didn't show up.  

3.  *Frederick wants to use this opportunity to redefine himself and become someone new.  He is bunking with four other campers.  They all have a past and a story.  As much as Frederick wants to find out about them, he doesn't want the other boys to learn his true identity and story.

4.  *As the five boys spend more and more time together, they learn about their similarities and differences.  When one of the campers disappears, Frederick makes it his mission to rescue him.  

5.  A hurricane is approaching the camp and all the boys could be in great danger; not only from the storm, but from their secrets being exposed.  


What I Thought Of It:  The characters were awesome.  The plot was fun, interesting, and engaging.  The action didn't stop.  I enjoyed how Kate Beasley was able to intertwine serious life themes while using humor and silliness to do so.  Frederick had quite a journey and learned a lot about himself.  I'm all for characters learning who they truly are and becoming the best version of themselves.  Each of the other boys brought substance and entertainment to the overall story and helped in making Frederick who he was truly meant to be.  I know my fourth graders are going to enjoy the writing of Kate Beasley.  


Who Should Read It:   The cover alone will attract readers to this book.  Once they start, I know they will be hooked.  The novel could be easily read by fourth, fifth, and sixth graders.  I'm also thinking that middle-school readers would also enjoy the adventures and fun that Frederick had.  The story could be used as a read aloud and/or read by individuals.  If you have a strong and mature reader in grades two/three, I think the story would be appropriate for them as well.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment