Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 29, 2018

Rayne & Delilah's Midnite Matinee by Jeff Zentner

How I Heard About It:  One of my favorite young-adult authors is Jeff Zentner.  I was blown away when I read his first novel The Serpent King.  His second novel The Goodbye Days left me an emotional mess.  I was thrilled to receive an ARC of his upcoming third novel.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Delia and Josie are best friends.  They are each seniors, ready to graduate, and move toward their future.  

2.  *As the midnight hour approaches, the girls become Rayne and Delilah, hosts of a local "horror" television show.  Each girl has their own reason for focusing on the show and what it might bring them in their life.  

3.  *Josie has ambitions of heading off to college to pursue a career in broadcasting.  But after meeting Lawson, that decision begins more complicated and difficult.  

4.  *Delia lives with her mother, but has always had questions and wonderings about why her father left and where he might be.  

5.  *Each girl tries to keep the local show running, their dreams in the forefront, and the friendship they have created a priority.  Real life doesn't make it easy on either one of them.  


What I Thought Of It:  It was exciting to receive this book mail and I couldn't wait to dig in.  Unfortunately it arrived right at the start-up of the school year.  I didn't have the time I would have liked to dedicate to the novel.  As the month progressed, I finally found the time to get to know these two new characters and the life that surrounded them.  One element of Jeff's writing that I enjoy so much is how he creates characters that come to life and ones that the reader comes to know and love. This story was different from his first two books.  To me that is the sign of a truly gifted writer.  This time around, Jeff included more humor than ever before, and there were many "laugh out loud" moments.  Don't worry, there were still plenty of emotional "painful" moments that readers have come to expect from Jeff and his novels.  As a reader, I enjoyed how these two characters were not your typical high school students.  It was refreshing to read about "out of the box" type high school students and how they navigated their way through life.  I'm excited to send this book on to the next member of the #bookexpedition Twitter reading group.  


Who Should Read It:  Any fan of Jeff Zentner will definitely need to put this new title on their TBR list.  The story is perfect for the young-adult reader.  Of course adult readers that have read the first two books will also enjoy the newest fictional story.  It will arrive in bookstores on February 26th of 2019.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment