Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 7, 2018

The Adventures of a Girl Called Bicycle by Christina Uss

How I Heard About It:  After reading a few incredible reviews of this book, I bought the audio version on Audible.  The story kept me company the last couple of weeks during my commute.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Bicycle was left at the "Mostly Silent Monastery" when she was a little girl.  Sister Wanda took her under her wing and raised her as her own.

2.  *Wanda worried that Bicycle didn't have any friends and wanted to make sure she did.  She was going to send Bicycle to a "camp" that fosters friendships.  Bicycle wants no part of that.

3.  When she learns that a famous cyclist is going to be in San Francisco, she comes up with a plan to hop on her bicycle and make her way across the country.  

4.  The first part of the journey brings one big surprise for Bicycle.  She learns that her bike is being "haunted" by a ghost that is a former soldier from years ago.  The two of them make their way west while making new friends and meeting quite a cast of characters.  

5.  During part of the journey, Bicycle comes into contact with a person from the monastery and is afraid it will change everything about her quest to meet her idol.  She must rely on herself and her new "friends" to continue the adventure and pursue her dream.  


What I Thought Of It:  I'm not normally a reader who enjoys fantasy or whimsical story lines, but with this particular book, I loved every minute of it.  I was drawn into the story from page one and enjoyed every adventure, twist and turn, and surprise along with way.  Bicycle was one of the most heart-warming characters I've read about in a long time.  The writer did such an incredible job of making me feel like I was right on that bike with her.  The story was fun, unique, and also had an important lesson for not only Bicycle herself, but the reader too.  Everything about the novel was top-notch.  


Who Should Read It:   I think the book could be used as a class read aloud.  This could be done in grades two through six.  I know all those ages would enjoy this tale.  For individual readers, they could be a strong reader in grade three or in grades four and above.  Adult readers who read middle-grade novels, must put this on their to be read list.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment