Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Wonder Wednesday #240 (Breakfast with Books #ONE)

Wonder Wednesday - Book Club in ACTION

*We had our first "Breakfast with Books" on Friday, September 28th.  This book club has become one of my favorite aspects of my teaching career.

*The club has grown, evolved, and morphed into an incredible opportunity for my readers, myself, and hopefully the authors we interact with.

*By living in the Twin Cities, I'm lucky to have personal access to many local authors.  It has been a pleasure hosting them in our space.



*Erin Soderberg has been coming to my classroom for the last five years or so.  I love starting the year with her novel The Quirks: Welcome to Normal.  The book is perfect for beginning fourth graders and leads them to the other three stories in the series.

*The readers buy a copy of the book, read it on their own, and attend book club at the end of the month.  We also have a treat sign-up for each of our gatherings.

*As a club we meet before school, dig into the treats, and talk with the author about the story, the characters, and our reactions.

*Erin is always fun, gracious, and engaging with the readers.  I know the fourth graders loved interacting with her and getting to know her.  Getting their copies of the book personalized was also a highlight.

*Here are some images of our time together...



No comments:

Post a Comment