Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden

How I Heard About It:  The novel came to me via my Twitter #bookexpedition reading group.  Not only were these members complimentary  of the novel, but other reading friends have been raving about it.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Zoey is the main character and in seventh grade.  She is the oldest sibling of three and has many responsibilities within the family.  

2.  *Her mother has been down on her luck and is living with another boyfriend in his trailer.  She is trying to make ends meet, but it isn't, and hasn't been easy.  

3.  *As much as Zoey wants to stay under the radar at school, one of her teachers tries to convince her to be a member of the debate team.  She sees something in Zoey that Zoey can't see in herself.  

4.  *When Zoey finds out the truth about her mother's boyfriend, she wants to do the right thing, but is surprised when her mom doesn't take her side.  

5.  *On top of all this, she must also deal with some major life issues that her friend is experiencing with her own family.  Can these two young girls make it out of very difficult situations.  


What I Thought Of It:  I was very excited to read this book.  I have been watching online friends tweeting and blogging about the story.  When I first started it, I thought it was going to be a middle-grade story.  As I got into the book, I found it was more of an older elementary story if not a middle-school story.  There are many mature and complex themes explored throughout the story.  Zoey doesn't have an easy life and is dealt some pretty difficult cards.  I loved that there was a teacher in her life that was in her corner and wanted to help.  I enjoyed the entire story even though it was pretty depressing and full of hardship.  


Who Should Read It:   The more I think about the book, the more I think it would be best for a middle-school and/or high school reader.  I would not put this in the hands of my fourth graders because of the content, themes, and vocabulary choice.  The plot is strong and I know young adult readers would find great satisfaction.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment