Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, January 20, 2020

American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins

How I Heard About It:
*I think you would have to be living under a rock if you have not heard of this novel published for adults.  Over the last few months, I have seen and read so many incredible reviews about the book.  I was lucky to get an ARC from a co-worker.  I've spent the last two days reading and was blown away by the story.  After I finished, I began to see some negative "posts" about the story, author, and content.  I'm not going to get into all of that, but just write about my own thoughts and opinions of the story.  






What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Lydia is a wife, mother, bookstore owner, and quite content with her life in Acapulco, Mexico.

2.  *When the cartels begin to take control of the city, Lydia and her journalist husband begin to feel the stress, anxiety, and danger of the situation.

3.  *After a horrific incident at her family's home, Lydia must flee with her eight-year old son Luca.

4.  *The two of them travel many, many days and many, many miles from Acapulco to the border of the United States.

5.  *While on this journey, they face extreme danger, come across both good and bad people, and do everything in their power to survive.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I couldn't believe what I was reading when I started the first chapter.  The events were horrific, grabbed my mind and heart, and didn't let go until I finished.

2.  *Because there was so much "hype" about the novel, I was worried it would measure up, but measure up the pages did.

3.  *I was in awe of Lydia, Luca, and the other "travelers".  They displayed strength, courage, and the utmost of love for each other.

4.  *Even though the story is a work of fiction, I found myself learning quite a bit about the social, economical, and political climate of Mexico; especially Acapulco.

5.  *As I neared the end of the novel, I found myself wanting to read faster and faster to find out what was going to happen, but I also wanted to savor the writing.  The speed got the better of me!


Who Should Read It:
*I personally would recommend the book to all adult readers.  I know there is controversy surrounding the storyline, but I think readers should give it a shot and make up their own minds.  No author and/or novel is perfect.  This is a work of fiction and that is how I read it.  I'm excited for others to read the story to hear what they think.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment