Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 18, 2020

Patron Saints of Nothing by Randy Ribay

How I Heard About It:
*I have had a copy of this novel for quite some time.  I can't remember which event I picked up a copy, but it was an ARC so I had to obtain it before June of 2019.  I hadn't read a young-adult novel for some time so I decided to add it to my collection of books that I read over the last week.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Jay is a senior in high-school, ready to be done, and head off to college.

2.  *Years earlier, Jay and his cousin Jun spent time together as children and then became pen-pals.

3.  *Jay's father fled the Philippines to raise his family in the United States.  Jun's father stayed back and held harsh feelings toward his brother.

4.  *As life became busy for Jay, he stopped corresponding with his cousin.  When he learns of Jun's death, he feels a sense of guilt and shame.

5.  *Jay decides to spend his senior-year spring break in the Philippines to figure out how Jun died and if the "stories" about him are true.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *It was a refreshing change of pace to get back to a young-adult novel after reading so many middle-grade books.

2.  *The story was well-written with a cast of fascinating characters.  I especially found myself impressed by Jay and his quest to make "amends".

3.  *I didn't know much about life in the Philippines and the story allowed me a glimpse into the life of a family living there and how they must deal with the government decisions.

4.  *The plot was realistic with a perfect dose of positive, and negative, "events".

5.  *I was engaged in the story from the start-up to the very last page.  One of the most satisfying young-adult novels I've read in quite some time.


Who Should Read It:
*I can imagine the young-adult reader, high-school and/or college, being absorbed and fascinated by the journey Jay took to the Philippines.  Not only would this novel be great for the young-adult reader, but the adult reader as well.  A strong, well developed, and emotional read for sure.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment