Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Seven Clues to Home by Gae Polisner and Nora Raleigh Baskin

How I Heard About It:
*I have had the honor of meeting both of these wonderful authors/people and was thrilled when I scored an ARC during #NCTE19 in Baltimore.  I had actually received an early "manuscript" version of the story quite awhile ago.  The reading was great fun because I got to see the changes they made and the elements they kept the same.  Over the years, I have enjoyed the writing of both authors and was excited to see what they created together.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Lukas and Joy became best friends while in second grade.  They have remained extremely close since that time.


2.  *Joy is about to celebrate her 13th birthday, but is having a hard time dealing with the "day" because of an event that took place a year earlier.

3.  *One year ago, Lukas created a special birthday scavenger hunt for Joy's birthday.  He was never able to deliver the clues.  A year later, Joy finds the first "clue".

4.  *This clue leads Joy on the birthday scavenger hunt, throughout their town, that she was suppose to complete a year earlier.

5.  *We get to know both Joy and Lukas with flashbacks of their friendship ranging from their second grade year to Joy's 13th birthday.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I was excited to read this version of their story.  The reading was such a fun and enjoyable experience since I had seen a very early draft of their collaboration.

2.  *Joy and Lukas' friendship was real, special, and one that all young people should get to experience in their lifetime.

3.  *As a reader, I enjoyed the structure of the story.  Each alternating chapter was told from the viewpoint of Lukas or Joy.  Having both perspectives, brought both stories together to form one solid picture of their experience.

4.  *Each of these characters had such a special spot in their heart for their friend and this "feeling" jumped off the page and into my own heart.

5.  *Not only did I come to appreciate the relationship between Joy and Lukas, but I also thought the people that surrounded these two young friends were a tremendous support system for each.


Who Should Read It:
*This special story could be read by any young reader.  Even though the two characters are thirteen, I think children younger and older would enjoy the story and what the two characters experienced.  Readers looking for a story about friendship, loss, and moving forward, should look no further.  This is the book for them.  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment