Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Wonder Wednesday #317 (Top Five)

Wonder Wednesday (Moments of Distance Learning) 

 *During these difficult times of transition, changes, and isolation; I find myself looking for the "good" in the world.




*Even though I miss my fourth grade students tremendously, there are always positives and highlights to appreciate.  

*This week I would like to share my top-five moments that I have shared with my WONDERful young people that I have the honor of working with on a daily basis.


This past month we have spent our time reading, enjoying, and thinking about the books that author Elly Swartz wrote.  I'm excited for our next virtual book club which will be on Thursday, May 30th.  Elly will be joining us via Google Meet.  This brings me JOY.  


I don't normally do a "class novel", but during our time apart, I wanted the readers to have a text they could share in.  When our school closed, I sent home a copy of Holes to each person.  This week we started reading the story and sharing our comments online.  This is one of my all-time favorite middle-grade novels and I'm excited to be sharing the book with a new generation of readers.  


One of my favorite times of the day is our morning meeting.  The class gathers via Google Meet and enjoy that time together.  The highlight is "games" time.  Today I introduced a scavenger hunt to my students.  I would say an object and they would have to go find.  The last person back had to turn off their camera.  We all had smiles, laughs, and lots of giggles.  As soon as we finished, they asked to play another round.  I think we have a WINNER!   



Before we began "distance learning", we were enjoying an ARC of Quintessence by Jess Redman.  This was actually the first thing I thought about when I heard school was being cancelled.  I decided to film myself reading the chapters and sharing that reading with the kids via our Schoology site.  It has become one of their favorite activities they are completing each day.  I've gotten notes from families how they find their child in a comfy spot listening/watching me.  Warms my heart!   


I'm trying to maintain our classroom community through Padlet and Flipgrid.  Last week I shared some links of the Padlets we have completed and shared.  I've also introduced the fourth graders to FlipGrid.  Watching and listening to their short video clips has been such a joy.  They are getting better at their presentation skills, expression, and  creativity.  Love it! 

1 comment:

  1. Bookbub is the best. Having 100+ reviews alo does wonders for a book, you can try https://honestbookreview.com for reviews. 100+ reviews also help with getting accepted with bookbub and other promotion sites. I can also help create a free marketing strategy specific to your genre and book.

    ReplyDelete