Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, September 5, 2020

Brother's Keeper by Julie Lee


How I Heard About It:
*A member of a reading committee I'm on, raved about this story and told me it was a must read.  I decided to listen to the story to start my commute back to school this past week.  I also found myself listening while working in the classroom.  I finished on my way home on Friday afternoon with a tear in my eye.

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *The reader is transported back to North Korea in the year 1950.

2.  *When the year reaches a dangerous point, twelve-year old Sora and her family know they must escape North Korea and make their way to South Korea.

3.  *Sora and her younger brother are separated from the rest of their family.  

4.  *The journey is long, dangerous, and full of many difficult moments.

5.  *Sora makes it her mission to reach their destination and keep both herself and her brother safe and from harm's way.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Powerful, haunting, and at times difficult to listen to.

2.  *To be honest, I didn't know much about the Korean War and found the plot interesting, engaging, and eye opening.

3.  *Sora was strong, independent, and determined.  So many great qualities.

4.  *I was touched by her desire to educate herself, create a life for herself, and be just as important as her male siblings.

5.  *Many page turning moments, lots of suspense, and several emotionally charged moments.  


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, the novel would be ideal for the middle-school reader.  The story is detailed, descriptive, and at times difficult to read about.  Upper elementary readers would also be appropriate for the story.  I think it could make for an excellent class read aloud leading to some deep and important discussions.  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment