Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, September 20, 2020

From the Desk of Zoe Washington by Janae Marks

How I Heard About It:
*This book has been on my TBR list for quite some time.  I"m not sure why I never got around to reading it, but now that I'm done, I'm sure glad I did.  I listened to the story via Audible during my commute to and from work and also while prepping in the classroom.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Zoe Washington receives a letter from Marcus when she turns twelve years old.

*She hasn't heard from Marcus during her first eleven years, and wonders why she is getting a letter from him now.

*Zoe has enjoyed life with her mother and her step-father.  She also has great friends, but is on the outs with her best friend at the moment.

*After she begins to communicate with Marcus, she and her best friend bury the hatchet and work together to solve a case that involves Marcus and why he hasn't communicated with her.  

*While hiding her plan from her mother, Zoe does everything she can to prove that Marcus didn't do what people said he did.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The narration was incredible and so easy to listen to.

*I loved the character of Zoe.  Her strength, determination, and guts were presented in a positive and sensitive way.  

*As I listened, I so enjoyed the friendship between Zoe and her best friend.

*The themes of friendship, family, race, and acceptance were woven throughout the pages of the novel.

*There were a few elements that I believe were a bit unrealistic, but the story is fiction, so I tried not to get too weighed down by these events.


Who Should Read It:
*I think this would be a wonderful novel to share with readers in grades four, five, and six.  The middle-school reader would also be the perfect target audience for the story.  The adventure of Zoe could be used as a read aloud and/or put in the hands of individual reader.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment