Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, October 21, 2021

The People We Keep by Allison Larkin

How I Heard About It:
*It was time for another audio listen.  I went to my "To Read" list on GoodReads and saw this title I had added.  I decided to go download the book and read about the people we keep.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The year is 1994 and April lives with her deadbeat dad.

*School isn't for her and she has great desires to be a musician someday.

*After one too many fights with her father, she decides to "take-off" and find the life she has always dreamed of.

*She lands here and there and is barely able to scrape by.

*As she travels the open road she finds people she wants to keep in her life and others she hopes she will never cross paths with again.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The narration was quite good.

*Although nothing major happened within the plot, I was still engaged throughout the entire listen.

*I rooted by April and wanted her to find true happiness.

*The ending was "wrapped up" a little too neat for me, but I'm sure will leave most readers quite satisfied.  

*Allison's writing, descriptions, and visualizations were excellent and I felt like I was back in 1994 in New York with the cast of characters.


Who Should Read It:
*Adult readers will enjoy this novel.  It may appeal to the female reader over the male.  As I mentioned, it isn't necessarily a page-turner, but I would describe it as a strong story


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment