Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 2, 2021

Welcome Back, Maple Mehta-Cohen by Kate McGovern

 How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade novel came to via the publisher (Candlewick Press).  I knew nothing of the story and looked forward to reading the new story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Maple has just finished fifth grade and is ready to start summer and sixth grade with her two best friends.  

*She is surprised when she finds out she has to redo fifth grade because of a learning disability.  


*Her family isn't happy about the news, but agree it is in the best interest for her educational experience.

*As she begins her second year in fifth grade, Maple tries her best to adjust to her "repeat" year in the same class, but with new classmates.  

*She tries to remain friends with her former friends while establishing new friendships and make the best of a difficult situation.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was a decent middle-grade read for me.

*I don't think I have ever read a story about a child being held back in school.

*The focus on old and new friendships was a central theme of the story.

*There wasn't a whole lot of "action" in the story, and I found myself skimming from time to time.

*I think this could be an important story for young readers who have experienced a similar situation.


Who Should Read It:
*Readers in grades four, five, and six would be ideal for this book.  If you know of a student who has experienced learning difficulties in school, then this is the story for them.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment