Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane

How I Heard About It:
*While browsing social media during summer 2023, I came across a post from former President Barrack Obama.  He listed the books he was reading during the summer.  One of the titles was Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane.  After a bit of "research", I decided to purchase this novel.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story takes place in the summer of 1974 in the city of Boston.

*Jules is the daughter of Mary Pat and they both are morning the loss of Jules' brother to a drug overdose.

*Jules goes out one night with a few of her friends.  Her mother begins to worry when Jules doesn't return home the next day.

*Her mother starts her own search for her daughter to bring her home safely.

*At the same time, a young black man is found dead on the local subway station tracks, and Mary Pat begins to wonder if the two events are related.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was a well-written story about life in Boston back in 1974.

*The author did a tremendous job of taking the reader and putting them front and center to the racial issues facing the city during that time.

*For me, some portions of the plot moved a bit slow and/or I didn't find myself invested.

*I was certainly curious about what happened to Jules and how it related to the death of the black man.

*The author didn't steer away from a "happily ever after" conclusion, and as the reader I appreciated the reality of the "fictional" plot.


Who Should Read It:
*Fans of Dennis Lehane will want to put his newest title on their TBR list.  His most well-known novel is Mystic River.  I have never read that story, but I definitely might in the near future.  Readers who enjoy a well-written character driven story would be ideal for Small Mercies.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars








No comments:

Post a Comment