Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

The In-Between: A Memoir in Verse by Katie Van Heidrich

How I Heard About It:
*This middle-grade "memoir in verse" was sent to me via Aladdin Publishers.  I was fascinated to read because I don't think I had ever read a memoir written for the middle-grade reader.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Katie Van Heidrich writes her story about never staying in once place long enough to really call home.

*In 2000, Katie is thirteen-years-old and hoping she and her siblings, along with their mother will finally settle down and find a real home.

*Upon returning from a family event, Katie's family find they have been evicted from their current apartment.  

*They take up residence at the local Extended Stay America Hotel.  

*Not only do the children have to deal with this "temporary" move, but they also have conflicting feelings about living with their mother and life at their father's home.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The writing was beautiful, touching, and full of heart.

*As I read about Katie's experience, I was reminded how much any of our students are dealing with in their personal lives.

*I found the differences between Katie's experience between her mother and father's homes to be fascinating, enlightening, and full of compassion.  

*As an adult reader, I was emotionally attached to Katie's story, but as I was reading, I kept thinking if a young reader would be drawn into the story as well.

*Now that I've finished the memoir, I think it would be wonderful if there were more of this type of writing to offer our young readers.


Who Should Read It:
*I think the middle-school, high-school, and even adult reader would find the book to be a satisfying and interesting read.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment