Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

West with Giraffes by Lynda Rutledge

How I Heard About It:
*While looking for novels published for adults to gift to a friend, I came across this title.  After a bit of online research, I decided to purchase the novel not only for my friend but one for myself as well.  I read most of the book while on my summer European vacation.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*The story revolves around 105 year old Woodrow Wilson Nickel.  

*He is residing in a senior home where the staff are driving him nuts trying to take care of him.

*Woodrow has more important things to do because he is determined to finish writing his story of his younger days involving two giraffes.

*He is recalling the events in 1938 when he joins a driver who is transporting two giraffes from the east coast to the west coast in which the final destination will be the San Diego Zoo.  

*The two men drive across the country facing obstacles, difficulties, and a red headed woman who seems to be following them.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I knew when I began reading, this was going to be a special story and it was.

*I loved the format of the story being that the author went back and forth between the time when Woodrow was the young man with the giraffes and the 105 year old recalling his younger days.

*It was also fascinating to read knowing this was based on a true story.  The author included factual information along with fictional characters and events.  

*Young Woodrow Wilson Nickel was an incredible character to get to know while he took a journey across the country.  

*I'm not always a fan of historical fiction, but this was a beautifully written story in which I throughly enjoyed.


Who Should Read It:
*I can't imagine any reader not enjoying this incredible and powerful story of the human and animal spirit.  A perfect book for summer 2023.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars









No comments:

Post a Comment