Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, October 7, 2023

Last Summer Boys by Bill Rivers

How I Heard About It:
*Came across this title while I was looking for a new audio book.  After reading the premise, I figured it was the perfect title to listen to next.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*It is the summer of 1968 and young men are being sent to Vietnam.

*Jack Elliot is the youngest of three brothers and doesn't want to see his older brother drafted for the war.

*Jack, and his cousin who has recently arrived, come up with a plan to keep Jack's brother from having to go to war.

*The two young boys set their plan into motion, but not everything goes according to their plan.

*Not only does Jack have to deal with his brother, but the family is faced with some real struggle as well.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The narration of the story was well done and a completely enjoyable read.

*I enjoyed getting to know young Jack Elliot and was fun to ride along on his summer adventure.

*There were several plot developments and I wasn't always sure which one was the main story line, but I didn't let that detract from the listening pleasure.  

*The author did a wonderful job of describing the setting, characters, and brought me fully into the story.

*It is always great to find a coming-of-age story about a young boy finding his way into manhood.


Who Should Read It:
*This was a enjoyable story and I think any adult reader will find satisfaction either reading the novel or listening to the audio version.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment