Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 29, 2023

Midnight is the Darkest Hour by Ashley Winstead

How I Heard About It
*While searching a BBC (Boy's Book Club) selection I came across this title.  After a bit of "research", I decided it would be a great pick for the male members of the book to read during the month of October.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Ruth is the daughter of the local pastor and knows she is expected to be the "perfect" daughter.  

*Everett is the son of a local man who isn't well liked by most of the people in the small town.

*When Everett rescues Ruth in the dark, damp swamp from a local boy, they form a special bond.

*With the myth of the "Low Man" and dead bodies showing up, Ruth and Everett team up to keep their own secrets, but uncover the ones her father and other members of the community work so hard to keep in the dark.

*Ruth is determined to find out the truth of what is truly going on in her community even though it may unravel everything her family stands for.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I listened to the audio version of the novel and found it satisfying.  

*Ruth and Everett were two unique, strong, and unusual characters.

*I was captivated by the mystery of the Low Man and what the "elders" of the community were hiding.

*There were a few portions of the story that moved a bit slow, but I hung in there and I'm glad I did.  One of best I've read in a long time.


Who Should Read It:
*I think this novel would be perfect for any adult reader who enjoys a great mystery.  If you have read other books by the author, I'm sure you will enjoy this one as well.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment