Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 1, 2023

The Stars Don't Lie by Boo Walker

How I Heard About It:
*While browsing for an audio book to enjoy during my commute to and from school, I came across this title.  After a bit of research, I decided to give the story a chance and downloaded it via Audible.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Carver Livingston is heading back home and isn't too happy about it.

*He has spent the last twenty years trying to forget his high-school years in the small town he grew up in.

*When his parents call and inform him they are divorcing, Carver decides it is time to go home and not only face his parents, but his past as well.

*Upon arriving home, he finds the difficult days he spent during his senior year coming back and starring him in the face.  

*With the help of close friends, and an incredible teacher, Carver comes to a place where his past, present, and future are able to exist side by side.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I'm surprised I listened to the entire presentation of the novel.

*This is a slow moving plot, without much "action" or "twists", but I found myself becoming more and more engaged as I listened.

*The story was gentle, thoughtful, and full of emotion.  

*I so enjoyed the character of Carver and could feel his pain from the past and his wanting to move beyond those difficult days.  

*There is a character in the story, Carver's former teacher, who will warm your heart and make you proud to be an educator.  At least it did for me!  


Who Should Read It:
*If you are a teacher, or have a fond spot for teachers, then this is the novel for you.  The story is well written, the characters are developed, and you will come to adore the many people you meet along the way.  As I mentioned, there are no great surprises, but a strong story about one man's journey and the people who helped him become the man he is.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment