Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Me Before You by JoJo Moyes

How I Heard About It:   I saw this book posted on GoodReads.  As I started to research this book, I found that it was getting quite a bit of positive press.  I was trying to find a book for the #ABCT (Adult Book Club on Twitter), this one seemed like it might work.  It is very exciting to find a new book to read and doubly exciting when you know it is going to be a book that a book club will read together. 

What It Is About:  Me Before You follows Louisa and Will as their completely different lives come together and change each of them forever.  Louisa is a quiet, reserved, young women who still lives at home with her parents, has never ventured out of her English town, and lives life safely.  Will is a good looking, rich, adventurous business man who lives his life to the fullest.  After a tragic accident, Will is confined to his parents' home and needs care 24/7.  Louisa loses her cafe job and is in need of another form of employment.  She begins to work for Will's parents caring for him.  The interaction between the two of them isn't ideal because they have come from such different worlds.  As time goes on they learn to appreciate each other and become better people because of each other.  Louisa learns a secret that Will's family is keeping and finds herself in a world she never would have imagined. 

What I Thought Of It:   From page one, I was hooked on this story.  JoJo Moyes does such a wonderful job of creating real and relatable characters.  I came to love both Louisa and Will.  The humor between them was fresh, unique, and brought many "laugh out loud" moments.  I came to care so much about these two people that they felt like two personal friends.  I enjoyed reading about their relationship as it grew from two people that couldn't stand each other, to people that tolerated each other, to a couple who truly cared for each other.  The story has quite the emotional punch and kept me up way past my bedtime in order to finish! 

Who Should Read It:   I am hoping that many readers will give themselves the treat of this book.  That is why I picked it for our #ABCT.  As much as I love to read childrens' books and young adult books, there is nothing quite like reading a really great adult book.  I think this is that type of book!  The invitation is being sent out to all teachers, librarians, educators, authors, and all other adult readers to experience this incredible story of Will and Louisa.  I can guarantee that you will never forget these two people and they will stay with you for a very long time.  Happy Reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment