Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Daring Escape of the Misfit Menagerie by Jacqueline Resnick

*So excited to post the first book of 2013.  I actually finished this book at the very end of 2012, but I loved it so much, I wanted it to be my first book post of 2013...

How I Heard About It:   I always love looking at lists of books that are recommended to readers.  One list I always check is the Best Books list that Amazon puts out each month.  This book caught my eye, the premise sounded interesting, and it had gotten some wonderful reviews.  I went to the local book store, bought a copy, and started reading. 

What It Is About:  This story is about Smalls (a bear), Wombat (a wombat), Tilda (a rabbit), and Rigby (a dog).  They are living the good life until their owner sells them off to an evil (and he is mean) circus owner. Their lives change, and not for the better, and things will never be the same for these four furry friends.  While performing at the circus, they meet Bertie, a wonderfully sweet boy who has been living with his uncle who is also the circus owner.  These new "guests" of the circus form a bond with Bertie and they decide they have had enough and begin to play their "daring escape."   

What I Thought Of It:   I loved this book.  I loved it so much that I selected it for my January book club selection for my 4th grade "Breakfast with Books" book club.  I loved it so much that I Tweeted the author to tell her how much I enjoyed the story.  I loved it so much that I asked her if she would Skype with us after we finish the book during our book club.  Jacqueline said, "YES."  I could not put this book down and I feel in love with all of the characters in the story.  Well, almost all of them.  I'm so excited to announce this book to my class on Thursday, January 3rd. 

Who Should Read It:   This book is the perfect book for any young reader and also any adult reader.  The story is engaging, full of action, suspense and has an incredible cast of characters.  I think it would make a great read aloud to students in grades 3-5.  I believe independent  readers in the fourth grade and up could easily handle this book.  I'm so thrilled to use this book with my students and I'm also excited for the sequel to come out in the fall of 2013.  It will be awesome to continue reading about the adventures of the Misfit Menagerie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment