Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, January 19, 2015

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven...

How I Heard About It:  I believe it was Colby Sharp that first mentioned this novel on Twitter.  He normally doesn't read YA, but raved and raved about this  story.  As time went on, more and more people started talking about this book. The buzz was getting really hyped up toward the release date.  I ordered a copy and couldn't wait to get my hands on it.  

What It Is About:  Violet is mourning the loss of her sister who was killed in a car accident several months earlier.  Finch is a high school boy that doesn't quite fit in the "crowd."  He is his own person.  When Violet and Finch have a geography class together, they become assigned to be partners for a project.  They must explore, discover, and examine geographical sites in their state of Indiana.  Violet is from the "popular" group and Finch isn't.  This partnering causes quite a stir among the kids at school.  As the two of them begin the project, that they title "wanderings", they begin to get to know each other.  Finch wants to know all about Violet and what has happened to her since the death of her sister.  Violet doesn't want to open up to anyone, including Finch; but he makes it very difficult for her to remain in her shell.  The more Finch brings Violet back to life, the more he begins to withdraw from his life.  The two of them spend time together with their mini adventures throughout the state and focus on finding "All the Bright Places."  

What I Thought Of It:  Sometimes when I book is as "buzzed" about as this novel, it doesn't live up to the hype.  That was not the case with this story.  The novel is extremely well-written and tells a beautiful story of two young people and all the difficulties they must face each and every day.  Both Violet and Finch weaved their way into my heart and I know I won't forget them.  I enjoyed how the story was told and built momentum with each and every page.  Lucky for me I had today off so I was able to stay up late last night reading and spent much of the morning finishing this incredible novel.  I have a friend turning 40 this weekend and I know this will be the perfect gift for my reader friend.

Who Should Read It:  All high school and young adult readers should take time to experience this fascinating story.  In my opinion, they will be able to relate to both Finch and Violet; along with the supporting characters.  Not only is this an awesome read for young adults, but adult readers as well.  You can see this by all the positive tweets on Twitter by adult readers.  I think this is going to be a much talked about book during the year 2015.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment