Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Inside the O'Briens by Lisa Genova...

How I Heard About It:  This novel came to me via NetGalley.  I'm beginning to really love this site.  How great is it that they send you an email with an ARC to download for your pleasure reading.  I had heard a lot about Lisa Genova's novel (and now movie) Still Alice, but have not read it yet.  I was excited to read this new novel.  

What It Is About:  The O'Brien family lives in Boston.  Joe is an officer of the law.  His wife Rosie has stayed home and raised their four children:  Megan, Katie, J.J., and Patrick.  The kids are all grown now, but many of them still live in their three-level home.  Joe is a strong forty-something year old "tough" police officer, but starts to notice some changes while on the job.  After much urging from his wife, he does to the doctor and is diagnosed with Huntington's Disease.  There is no cure for this disease and has a 50/50 probability of being passed on to Joe's children.  Some of the kids decide to have the test to see if they are carrying the gene, and others are not sure if they want to know because of the effect it will have on their lives

What I Thought Of It:  I now know why so many people enjoyed the novel Still Alice.  Lisa Genova is quite a talented writer.  This story was beautifully told from start to finish.  All of the characters were fully developed and I felt like I became part of their family throughout the journey of this disease.  The story was told with honest, painful, and disturbing realism.  I could feel what this family was going through.  I absolutely enjoyed everything about this story.  Even though it was full of heartache, there was always a sense of underlying hope.

Who Should Read It:  This is a novel for all adult readers that enjoy great fiction about families and the issues that real-life can throw them.  If you enjoy "character" stories, then I know you will find this a satisfying read.  I'm looking forward to reading her other novel Still Alice.  I would like to see it before we see the movie.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment