Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, June 19, 2015

Circus Mirandus by Cassie Beasley...

How I Heard About It:  This is probably the novel I have been looking forward to reading the most this spring and early summer.  I started hearing about it on Twitter months ago and became more and more excited to buy and read it on its release date.  

What It Is About:  Micah is a young boy that has lost both his parents.  He is living with his grandfather Ephraim and his great-aunt Gertrudis.  Micah and his aunt are not fond of each other, but Micah makes the best of it because he loves his grandfather so much.  Micah and Ephraim have a strong bond when it comes to the conversation of "magic".  His grandfather has told him many stories about his younger days with the Circus Mirandus.  Now that Ephraim is an old man and quite sick, he wants to "cash in" on a promise that was made to him many years earlier by "The Man Who Bends Light".  He is a circus performer like none other that Ephraim has met.  Micah must travel to this magical circus to find "the man who bends light" in order to have his grandfather's promise fulfilled.  While planning his "adventure" he takes along a new friend named Jenny.  Micah makes it his number one goal to reach this circus and have the miracle owed to his grandfather come true.  Never in his wildest dreams, would he realize what the miracle his grandfather has in store for Micah.  


What I Thought Of It:   I loved this story and it lived up to everything that I thought it would be.  It was a "magical" story and one that drew me into a world that was captivating.  Never I have enjoyed a young character like Micah so much.  He was lovable, endearing, and heart-warming.  The story is part realistic fiction and part fantasy/magical.  This worked so well and made for a page-turning type story.  I was glued to the plot and couldn't wait to find out all the secrets, mysteries, and magic of the 
circus.  This is the type of novel that I will definitely be reading again because I know I read it so fast that I probably missed many aspects of this incredible story.  This is a top-notch middle grade novel.

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect novel for readers in fourth, fifth, and sixth grade.  I also think that middle-school readers would enjoy this story just as much.  Of course adult readers that enjoy middle-grade books, will find this a completely satisfying experience.  I'm thinking of doing this as a read aloud next year with my fourth grade class.  I know young listeners will eat this story up.  I can't wait to share it with my readers.  

Rating:  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment