Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 15, 2015

House of Echoes by Brendan Duffy...

How I Heard About It:  This novel was sent to me via NetGalley a few months ago.  I didn't get to it right away, but just recently finished it.  

What It Is About:  Ben and Caroline need to restart their lives.  Ben is struggling with his second novel and his wife Caroline lost her job and is having some "mental" health issues.  They have two sons.  Their older son is having problems at school with bullying.  When an old mansion in upstate New York falls into their laps, they decide this is just what they need.  After moving into the old home, they begin to work on it in order to set it up as an Inn.  Ben spends time getting to know the villagers while Caroline works on both the house and herself.  They son begins to venture away from the "home" and into the woods that surround the place.  Both he and his father discover some historical secrets about the land, the house, and the surrounding village.  Thinking they were getting away from their problems, they realize there are many more facing them right in the face.  


What I Thought Of It:  This was another novel that started off strong, but soon began to lose me in the middle of the story.  Overall, I liked the plot, but there were times when events in the story just moved way too slowly for me.  I found myself skimming at times, and feel like I didn't miss much from doing so.  The premise was interesting, but at times lost me and my focus on the story.  Ben was my favorite character and I appreciated how he tried to keep his family together no matter what.    


Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect story for adult readers that enjoy a great mystery.  It was half literature and half mystery.  This worked well for me.  The book is the first by this author so readers that like to try new stories by first time authors, this would be a great choice.  Happy Reading!    

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment