Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 15, 2015

GreenGlass House by Kate Milford...

How I Heard About It:  After following several Twitter conversations about this middle-grade novel, I decided to buy it and see what everyone was chatting about.  

What It Is About:  Milo is living at Greenglass House, an Inn, with his adoptive parents.  It is just about winter break and he is excited to have some quiet and alone time.  As a winter storm approaches, several "guests" begin to arrive at the Inn.  This does not make Milo happy because he was hoping to have time to himself.  One of the guests is the Inn's chef and his daughter Meddy.  Once all of the guests are settled into Greenglass House, objects start to disappear.  Meddy and Milo decide to make these mysteries into a game and come up with other "game" names and begin to investigate what is disappearing and who may be responsible for the "crimes."  The two children learn that the current mysteries 
have something to do with Greenglass House and its history.

What I Thought Of It:   When I first started this book, I thought it was going to be really great.  Once all the guests arrived and Milo and Meddy got on the "trail" of the missing objects, the story slowed down a bit and got a bit complicated.  Part of the problem for me was that Meddy and Milo created other names for their "game" and I had a hard time keeping everything straight from time to time.  For myself, the middle of the story moved a bit slow, but the ending was great.  The writing was top-notch and it was quite an interesting story with unique characters.  


Who Should Read It:  I know many adult readers have read this novel and enjoyed it.  After reading it myself, I can see why they would.  When I think about young readers, I'm not sure what age would be best suited for this book.  I would definitely think they should be in grade six or above.  In my opinion, this could also be used as a read aloud in a classroom of students in grades four, five, or six.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment