Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, October 2, 2016

The Boundless by Kenneth Oppel

How I Heard About It:  I remember hearing about this book from many people I follow on Twitter.  I actually bought a copy of the book, but never got to it.  This was another audio book that we look on a road trip to visit our son at college.  We started it together, and then I finished it during my commute to and from work.  

What It Is About:  Will is a young boy who is going on an adventure of a lifetime.  He is joining his father aboard the "Boundless" which is the most glamorous and large train that has ever been built.  It is taking it first voyage across the country.  Will's father is a major figure in the train industry and he loves train life just as much as his father.  When a mysterious key ends up in Will's possession, he becomes the focus of some really dangerous and bad people.  At one point, Will ends up off the train, surviving on his own, and trying to make his way back on board.  Once he returns, he meets and spends time with the members of a traveling circus.  They agree to help Will stay clear of the men on his trail and to return to his father.  This is no easy feat and this entire group of characters find more adventure on the traveling wheels of the mega train, then most people do in their entire lifetime.  

What I Thought Of It:  I haven't experienced a classic adventure like this in a long time.  It was such a fun read and held my attention the entire time.  I loved all the twists and turns of the plot and of the actual course this train was on.  The story was fresh, action-packed, and full of surprises.  The characters were awesome and came to life via the story.  I don't normally love these types of stories, but found myself looking forward to getting into the car and continuing this wildly epic story.  

Who Should Read It:  The book is a bit long, so I'm thinking it would be appropriate for readers in grade five and six.  Of course middle-school readers would also be the perfect audience for the book.  Male readers will enjoy the story because of Will and all of his adventures aboard the train.  It could make for a strong read aloud in the older grades, but will take awhile because it is a longer story  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment