Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, January 6, 2017

The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett by Chelsea Sedoti

How I Heard About It:  I actually got an ARC of this quite awhile ago via NetGalley.  It sat in my account for many months.  Right before my trip to the Dominican Republic, I began to see posts, reviews, and comments about this upcoming novel.  I went to my Kindle and sure enough, there it was.  I put it on my list of books I wanted to read pool and beach side.  

What It Is About:  Lizzie Lovett was popular.  Hawthorn isn't.  Lizzie Lovett appeared to have everything.  Hawthorn knows she has very little.  Lizzie Lovett was the center of the high-school "in crowd".  Hawthorn is barely noticed and when she is, she is bullied.  Hawthorn was a freshman when she had a "brief" encounter with senior Lizzie, but the memory of it has stayed ingrained in Hawthorn's mind.  A couple of years after Lizzie graduated from high-school, she disappears from a camp site where she was spending time with her boyfriend.  This news captivated the attention of everyone in their small town, but Hawthorn takes it to a whole new level.  She gets a job where Lizzie use to work.  She forms a "bond" with Lizzie's boyfriend.  She sets course to find out what truly happened to Lizzie on that night at the camp site.  Hawthorn comes up with a theory and with the help of Lizzie's boyfriend, they try to find Lizzie and/or find out where she is.  Hawthorn was already on the "outs' of the high school crowd, but this "mission" puts her more in the spotlight than she ever imagined possible.  

What I Thought Of It:  If you have read my other two book reviews of the novels I read over vacation, you know they were top-notch reads.  This one completed the "trifecta" of excellent reading experiences.  I really enjoyed this story and found myself reading so quickly because I wanted to find out what was going to happen and what they found out about Lizzie.  It was cool that the story was about Lizzie, but really in the end was more about Hawthorn.  Many high-school life lessons were presented during the story and done in a very realistic way.  The writing was great, the characters were great, and the plot was non-stop.  This was an excellent young-adult book.  

Who Should Read It:  This would be the perfect read for readers in high-school, college, and/or adult readers.  It is such a solid story that all three groups of readers would enjoy equally.  I believe this is Chelsea's debut novel and boy did she hit it out of the park.  A must-read.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment