Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Saving Wonder by Mary Knight

How I Heard About It:  I got this book at one of our Scholastic Book Fairs this past school year.  I had a coupon that I got from a student.  While browsing the shelves for new titles I came across this one.  I actually got the one with the cover that I've included below.  I knew nothing of the book, but was intrigued by the cover and title.  

What It Is About:  This story takes the reader to the beautiful and magical place of Wonder Gap, Kentucky.  It is here that we meet Curley Hines.  Curley hasn't had the easiest life.  He first lost his dad to a coal mining accident.  Then his mother and brother perish in a different type of accident related to the mines.  He and his best friend Jules have grown up together enjoying their life in the hallow, a special tree, and a mountain they claim as their own.  When the mine gets a new owner, Curley and his grandfather wonder how this will change their life.  When the owner's son starts school, Curley isn't sure he is happy about it because of how it affects his friendship with Jules.  When the mine threatens the town and its surrounding area, the three classmates join forces to "Save Wonder".  

What I Thought Of It:  It is always risky to grab and buy a book that you know nothing about.  Sometimes it works and of course sometimes it doesn't.  I'm happy to report this "unknown" book worked quite well for me.  I truly enjoyed the story.  It had all the elements I want in a plot.  There were strong relationships, great life-lessons, and young people learning how to make a difference on the bigger world.  The author included some great WORDS that the grandfather would present to his grandson.  This got me thinking how I could do this in my own classroom.  On a small side-note, I actually prefer the cover that I have instead of what I think may be a new cover.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the perfect middle-grade novel.  I know that I will be sharing the book in some way during the upcoming school year.  It could be read by individuals in grades three, four, five, and/or six.  Saving Wonder would also make for a terrific read aloud.  There would be so many wonderful discussions that would come from Curley, Jules, and all the happens in the town of Wonder.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment