Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Some Writer! The Story of E.B. White by Melissa Sweet

How I Heard About It:  Another title that came to me via #bookexpedition on Twitter.  This book has made the rounds over the last year and I was the final reader to get it in my hands.  

What It Is About:  I'm sure most of you have read this text and/or know about it.  It was a fascinating read as I knew very little about the life of E.B. White.  I not only found the story interesting, but all of the post-its that were left by previous readers.  It was almost as if I was reading two different stories.  The format of the book was incredible.  Melissa Sweet told the life story of E.B. White in text.  She also included some writings and letters that White wrote himself.  There were some beautiful and incredible illustrations, diagrams, and pictures on each and every page.  I was inthralled with the book and found myself spending quite a bit of time on each two-page spread.  What amazed me most was E.B. White's love for children and wanting to make sure he put his best writing into their hands.  

What I Thought Of It:  Last night I grabbed this book off my night-stand and was immediately drawn into the life of one of our most influential writers.  The format of this book was top-notch and laid out beautifully.  There was so much information on all pages.  I kept thinking how much young readers would enjoy this book.  After finishing the text I now want to go back and read his three most notable words of fiction.  I also want to put this book in my classroom library along side of the copies of his novels that I already house in my collection.  

Who Should Read It:  In my opinion, this biography should be read by middle-grade, young-adult, and adult readers.  It is beautifully done and tells a wonderful story of a boy, a man, and a talented writer.  I'm so glad that I finally had the opportunity to read it.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment