Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, July 30, 2017

You May Already be a Winner by Ann Dee Ellis


How I Heard About It:  While scrolling through the "Cloud Library" app on my phone and came across this title.  For some reason the title and cover seemed familiar to me so I downloaded it and listened via audio.  

What It Is About:  Olivia is twelve-years old.  She has a younger sister Berkeley.  They live with their mother in a trailer park.  Olivia has made a goal to get them out of the park by winning one of the many contests she enters.  They are trying to make the best of it since their dad took off and left them alone.  Olivia's mother is trying to make ends meet and isn't around much.  When Olivia meets a new boy named Bart, she is hoping life is about to turn around.  But when Bart suddenly disappears, she is left alone again and battling "adult" issues.  She isn't sure can handle it all, but definitely gives it her best.  It all comes to a head when her mother asks her to take her little sister to school because she has nowhere else for her to go.    

What I Thought Of It:  This was an enjoyable audio book.  I didn't know anything about the story so it was a fun listen.  Olivia was such an endearing character and I found myself rooting for her the entire story.  There were times when it was difficult to listen to because of the difficult life situations that Olivia and her family had to endure.  It was heart-breaking.  She has such strength and heart that always moved her forward and fighting the right cause.  I'm really glad I came across this novel because it provided me hours of enjoyment while driving (and mowing) around this summer.  

Who Should Read It:  The perfect audience would be fourth, fifth, and sixth graders.  There is so much in the story that would provide both female and male such great discussions and life-lessons.  The story would make for a strong read aloud in these grades.  Of course middle-school and young-adult readers would also enjoy the story.  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment