Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

How I Heard About It:  I noticed that several of my Twitter friends posting their thoughts about this young-adult novel online.  I was intrigued by their thoughts, the title, and the cover of the book.  During an Amazon order, I added the book to my shopping cart.  It is a beautiful hard-cover novel that will definitely be included now in my home library.  

What It Is About:  This story takes the reader back to 18th-Century England. Henry "Monty" Montague is a son of a British Lord, but isn't your typical royal "son".  He is about to embark on his "Grand Tour" of Europe with his best friend Percy.  These two young men have grown up together as the best of friends.  Monty has a "crush" on Percy and isn't sure if Percy will return the same feelings.  Percy is going to accompany Monty on the "tour".  Monty is hoping the trip will be a wild ride with lots of fun, drinking, and wild adventures.  When he finds himself in trouble during their first stop, what had been planned for the summer; is put on the wayside.  Monty, Percy, and Monty's sister Felicity find themselves traveling all over Europe evading dangerous people, hiding out in secret locations, and trying to save themselves; each in different ways.  

What I Thought Of It:  I was so glad to come across this young-adult novel because I've been in a bit of a slump with these types of stories.  This book was so different from anything else I've read.  It was a fun ride and I enjoyed the characters of Monty, Percy, and Felicity so much.  There were many laugh out loud moments.  Monty has his own agenda on how to live his life and it is all about HIM.  The story had everything:  great characters, grand adventures, and twists and turns around every corner.  I don't normally like stories set back this far in history, but for some reason this one really worked well for me and provided me hours of enjoyment.  

Who Should Read It:  Both young-adult and adult readers will enjoy this historical fiction story.  It is quite the read and I know they will love the story just as much as I did.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment