Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Most Valuable Players by Phil Bildner

How I Heard About It:  The Rip and Red series is one of my favorite series to share with my fourth grade students.  Every year I "book talk" all the novels in the series and encourage as many readers as I can to read them.  I bought the final book when it was released at the end of May.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to read the story until this weekend.  I was excited to see how Phil was going to bring the story to an end.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Rip and Red are finishing their fifth grade year with their incredible and special teacher Mr. Acevedo.  

2.  *The boys, along with their classmates, are excited for the fifth grade graduation celebration along with their school's 25th anniversary party.  The school is even bringing in a special exhibition basketball team to perform at the celebration.  

3.  *A couple of the boys are invited to participate with the basketball team.  They are thrilled and find ways to include their other classmates.  

4.  *As the last few days approach, the class is informed that will be taking one more standardized assessment and they are not happy about it.  

5.  *The fifth graders are faced with the dilemma of standing up for themselves and take a stand or go along with "flow" and do what the administration expects them to.  


What I Thought Of It:  I read this book in one sitting and it was a complete pleasure.  I enjoy Phil's writing style and the "world" he is able to create through his imagination, creativity, and talent.  Each one of these books brought me joy and insight into the world of fifth graders.  Rip and Red are two special boys/characters that I've encountered through literature.  If I could be half the teacher Mr. Acevedo was, I would be in heaven.  This installment brought the entire year to a strong and satisfying conclusion.  I loved how Rip and Red's teacher was able to instill such wonderful life-lessons and they grew tremendously.  Of course the friendship between Rip and Red was a one-of-a-kind relationship that all young people should model themselves after.  


Who Should Read It:   I think everyone third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classroom needs to house this book and the previous three books in the series.  The story is perfect for the middle-grade reader. I have found the story really appeals to some readers that struggle finding books that they enjoy.  These books make for excellent read aloud and/or can be put in the hands of individual readers.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment