Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Us Against You by Fredrik Backman

How I Heard About It:  I am a huge fan of Fredrik Backman novels.  I believe I have read them all.  For the most part, they all have provided me with hours of reading enjoyment.  I was surprised when I saw this title on the shelf.  I didn't realize he had written a sequel to Beartown.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *This story takes up right where the first story left off.  It follows the residents of Beartown after the rape of a high school student by the star hockey player.

2.  *Beartown's hockey team fell apart after the rape, and now a new coach has been brought in to reestablish a team that can again represent the town. 

3.  *Several of the teammates have secrets and issues they are dealing with and would prefer that the rest of the team, and town, don't find out.  

4.  *Many of the members of the first "team" have now gone to the rival team in the next town over.  As the new Beartown team takes shape, an epic hockey game comes to "play" and will change everyone involved.  

5.  *Just as there was a shocking event in book #one, this second installment concludes with a horrific event that will shake each and every member of Beartown.  


What I Thought Of It:  I started reading the hard copy of the novel, but then "life" got in the way.  I decided to give it a try via audio.  As I would take walks and spend time driving, I listened to the story and was drawn in more than I had been reading the actual pages.  The plot was interesting, engaging, and thought-provoking.  As a reader, I was interested in how the characters dealt with what happened in their town and how they chose to move on or not move forward.  The cast of characters was top-notch and developed quite nicely.  Even thought the story revolved around hockey, this time around I thought Backman spent more time on digging into his characters and life "away" from the rink.  Overall, I enjoyed everything about the story and I'm glad I used the audio to finish.  


Who Should Read It:   Obviously it would be best if you had read the first book before you tackle this second novel.  If you have not read any of Fredrik Backman's novels, I highly recommend them.  You do NOT need to be a fan of hockey, to enjoy these stories.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars!




1 comment:

  1. Loved this one too! Beartown was my favorite of his books.

    ReplyDelete