Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 26, 2018

The Unsung Hero of Birdsong, USA by Brenda Woods

How I Heard About It:  This ARC was sent to me by the wonderful Nancy Paulsen.  I took the novel with me on summer vacation.  It was my read while flying back home from Seattle.  The novel will be out January 8, 2019.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *The story takes place right after WWII in the southern town of Birdsong.  The main character Gabriel has just turned twelve and received a bicycle for his birthday.

2.  *On his inaugural bike ride, he ends up almost getting hit by a car driven by a "spacey" Birdsong resident.  Fortunately, Meriwether, saves Gabriel from getting hit.  The bike is damaged and his parents are not happy; but at least he isn't hurt.  

3.  *Gabriel's parents ground him from his new birthday present for two weeks.  During this time, Gabriel gets Meriwether a job in his father's auto shop.  This is to repay him for saving his life.

4.  *While Meriwether works in the shop, Gabriel learns about this man's past, his time in the war, and the reception he got when he returned to the United States.  

5.  *The other employee of the auto shop is a while man who has no time or tolerance for Meriwether.  The tension between these two men causes drama and unrest for Gabriel and his family.  


What I Thought Of It:  Once I started this story on the plane, I could not stop reading.  I immediately  liked Gabriel and found him such an endearing character.  The other character that worked his way into my heart was Meriwether.  The author did such a tremendous job of developing the friendship between these two characters.  This historical fiction had an excellent setting, lots of fascinating characters,  and a story-line that had such important and necessary life-lessons and themes.  I know this will be a story that I share with my students during the coming school year.  


Who Should Read It:   After reading the novel, I'm thinking it would make an excellent read aloud.  There would be so many important discussions that could come from the story.  Individual readers in grades four, five, and six would be able to handle the book with ease.  Of course middle-school readers should also be introduced to the upcoming novel.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment