Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, August 6, 2018

An Inside Look #57 (Author INTERVIEW)

An Inside Look with Kelly Yang
(Author of The Front Desk)

*During the summer of 2016, I added this feature to my blog which was called "Season #ONE".  This first season ran from June of 2016 to March of 2017.  

*I started up the interviews again in June of 2017.  It was great to get back to Season #TWO.  This season ran throughout the summer.  

*Season #THREE ran during the school year of 2017/2018.  


*It has been such an honor to connect with authors and "chat" about their novel, characters, and thoughts about the story.

*This is the SIXTH interview of what I'm calling Season #FOUR.  

*Thank you to Kelly Yang for being the Fifty-Seventh author that I've had the pleasure of interviewing.  I truly appreciate it.  

*Here are links to the first Fifty-Six interviews…

SEASON #ONE

























SEASON #FOUR

Interview #53 with Preston Norton (Author of Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe)

Interview #54 with Jonathan Auxier (Author of Sweep: The Story of a Girl and Her Monster)

Interview #55 with Sharon Creech (Author of Saving Winslow)

Interview #56 with Stacy McAnulty (Author of The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl)


*This was a novel that had so much "buzz" online that I knew I had to read it.  All of my reading friends gave the story 5 stars and raved about the story line.  I was excited when I received my copy of the book.  It was such a delight to read and was excited when Kelly agreed to an interview.  

*Kelly was kind, gracious, and giving with her answers to the questions.  It is an honor to post her responses here on the blog.  

*Here is a link to my review of Front Desk...

*Thank you Kelly Yang for writing this story for readers and taking the time to share your thoughts with us here...


Front Desk
by Kelly Yang (Released May 28, 2018)


How did you come to know Mia?
I started writing FRONT DESK in the summer of 2015, as a way to get my son Eliot (then 8) to read and to tell him about my childhood. Mia is based on me. I also worked at a motel when I was a kid, manning the front desk. I think Mia’s a spunkier and stronger version of me! She’s the version of myself I wish I had been at her age, and even now at times I ask myself, what would Mia do?



Is there anything you wish Mia would have changed or done differently in her story?
No or I would have changed it lol.



How did you research Mia and the circumstances she found himself in?
As FRONT DESK is based on my real life childhood (see author’s note), I based it on my own childhood growing up in LA in the early 90s.



What was the hardest scene to write about Mia?
The hardest scene to write was probably the jeans scene. That was just so humiliating for her and I brought me back to my own childhood, always not wearing the right clothes, being made fun of at school, etc.



Who do you think was Mia's biggest supporter and why?
I think her biggest supporter is probably her dad. He believes in her  and believes that despite all their suffering, they came to the US for a reason and that reason is Mia. Also Hank is instrumental to Mia and I love how they lean on and support each other in the story.



What do you think Mia is doing at the present time?
Probably writing books!!! :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment