Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Quintessence by Jess Redman

How I Heard About It:
*During our class Skype visit with author Jess Redman for her first novel The Miraculous, her new work of fiction came up in our conversation.  We asked if we could read an ARC as an upcoming class read aloud.  Jess agreed and sent  a copy.  When the book arrived in the mail, I was amazed by the beauty of the cover.  I couldn't wait to share it with my fourth graders later this school year so I opened to the first page and was spellbound during the entire read.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1.  *Alma is adjusting to living in Four Points with her mother and father.  Since her arrival, she has been experiencing panic attacks.

2.  *During a stroll through town, Alma finds an odd shop called "Five Points".  Within the shop, she finds a unique telescope which the owner calls a Quintescope.

3.  *After being granted the Quintescope, Alma finds herself heading in a new direction.  Much to her parents delight, she joins the "unique" and "odd" astronomy club.

4.  *Through the astronomy club, she meets Hugo, Shirin, and Dustin.  Each member of the club is a necessary "ELEMENT" that contributes to the greater good of a mission they set out on.

5.  *While trying to deal with the ongoing panic attacks, Alma and her new friends, navigate the world of Four Points, the "magic" of Five Points, a mysterious shop owner, and the ever-changing universe including a shooting star or two.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *As I posted on social media, I can't quite come up with the correct words to describe how much I loved this story.

2.  *The plot, characters, and setting were amazing, brilliant, and like nothing else I have ever read.

3.  *Jess Redman's writing was beautiful, exquisite, and absolutely perfect.

4.  *The journey that Alma took was magical, mystical, and also full of realistic heart-felt moments.

5.  *I was overcome with joy, deep emotion, and awe while reading about Alma, her friends, and the connections and experiences they shared in the little town of Four Points.


Who Should Read It:
*I know I have probably said this before, but I want EVERYONE to read this book.  It is perfect for the elementary, middle-school, high-school, and even adult reader.  I can't imagine ONE reader being disappoint with this AMAZING, BRILLIANT, and UNPUTDOWNABLE novel,  Happy Reading!


Rating:   5+ STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment