Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, August 4, 2023

Louder Than Hunger by John Schu

How I Heard About It:
*I've known John for many years as the man who shares his love of reading and books with the world.  I've had the honor of meeting him and chatting from time to time.  When I learned he was publishing a novel, I knew it was going to be an incredible story for young readers.  I was able to obtain an E-Galley and spent a wonderful summer afternoon with John's main character Jake.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Jake is a young boy who isn't like the rest of the boys around him.

*He enjoys spending time with his grandmother, seniors at the local nursing home, listening to "adult" music, and attending the theater.  

*As Jake navigates his way through the cruelty of the world, he begins to avoid both food and mirrors.

*When his family begins to realize Jake has a serious problem with food, they force him to check into a residential treatment center.

*While at the center, Jake must battle between what everyone is telling him and the "VOICE" inside of himself telling him not to eat one thing.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Reading Louder Than Hunger was quite a special experience.

*Because I have heard John Schu speak in person, I couldn't help but hear his own voice while reading about Jake.  

*What an honor it was to be allowed into the private struggle of Jake/John and just see how powerful an eating disorder can be.

*While I think most people think eating disorders are mostly a female disease, this story opens up the perspective that the disorder can effect anyone.

*John's writing was exquisite, beautiful, touching, and personal.  I don't know if I've ever such a personal story where the author allows the reader inside their life as much as this story did.


Who Should Read It:
*Louder Than Hunger will be an important story for young people who are experiencing their own personal struggles.  Beyond this, I would say EVERYONE will need to read the novel when it is released in March of 2024.  As John would say, "Happy Reading!"


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment